KicKee Pants' NICU for YOU- Sweet Baby Grey

Norton Healthcare Foundation 


234 E. Gray St, Suite 450

Louisville, KY 40202

Referred By: Allie Powell

Grey was born on June 20,2014.  In May I went in for my 20 week ultrasound and Grey was measuring a little small (19 weeks instead of 20).  At this point they were just thinking I had my dates wrong.  At my 24 week check up they wanted to do a ultrasound and I'm really glad they did.  I scheduled my ultrasound for the following Monday when I turned 25 weeks and the ultrasound showed that Grey was measuring as a "22 weeker."  She was very small and they were concerned she wasn't getting a enough nutrients from my placenta to sustain life full term.  They admitted me to the hospital that day and guaranteed me that I would deliver by 28 weeks because the doctors could "grow her" better outside of me.  At this point, I was preparing myself for a 3 week bed rest stay in Labor Delivery.  God had other plans... I was on bed rest for about 3 days and I developed HELLP Syndrome.  HELLP is a rare but life-threatening complication that, for me, came on quickly.  The doctors say I had a "dry case" where the symptoms did not present themselves early.  The only way to cure HELLP syndrome is to deliver the baby. So in the early hours of June 20th, Grey Delphine Powell was born via Emergency C-Section!  Do to the IUGR (intra-uterine growth restriction) she weighed just under a pound (450 grams or 15 oz) and measured 10 3/4 inches long.  They quickly got her intubated and rushed her to the NICU.  This is where our NICU story begins...

We were in the NICU at Norton Suburban Hospital in Louisville, Kentucky.  I had to be on bed rest for 24 hours after having HELLP syndrome due to a medication that I had to receive after delivery. Once Grey was born they rolled her by me and I got a quick look at her and off she went.  My husband and family members were able to see her first while I healed in Labor and Delivery.  It was the longest 24 hours of my life.  I just wanted to see my baby.

During Grey's stay in the NICU there were many challenges that she had to overcome.  She was so small and fragile that every thing was big deal and there was little room for error. The nurses and doctors in the NICU were phenomenal and made me and my husband feel as comfortable with the situation as we could be.

The first few days were extremely stressful.  There was a lot going on with Grey and a lot of potential problems that could have happened with her lungs and brain. Thankfully, through prayer and the grace of God, Grey did not have a head bleed which is a major concern for micro-preemies.  The doctors were for sure she would have some type of bleed because of her size but she didnt. It was truly a miracle.

Her lungs were so fragile.  The doctor had a serious conversation with us about Grey's lung development.  They were stiff and not moving air like they should be.  The doctor said "she may not make it, but we will know in 24 hours."  We went to church and the whole congregation prayed for Grey and her lungs.  That evening the doctor came to Grey's room and said she moved the ventilator settings up high and forced air into Grey's lungs and it worked!  Again, God protected Grey and healed her (and I'm writing this through tears of joy!).

Since Grey was so fragile and small I was not allowed to hold her right away.  The nurses and doctors wanted to make sure she was stable enough before she was taken out of the incubator. I waited a long 15 days until I was able to hold my precious angel.  It was the best day of my life.  I didn't know if this would ever happen and it finally did.  I remember having tears of joy and being so nervous.

Grey's eyes were fused when she was first born and they did not open for 3 weeks.  Usually if a preemie is born with fused eyes they will open in a few days.  Grey stumped the doctors and for three weeks they were trying to figure out why her eyes had not opened yet.  We were told she could be blind or her eyeballs were fused to her eyelids.  They had specialist come in and for the longest time we had no clue what was going to happen with her eyes.  One night while I was holding her, I prayed over her and asked God to open her eyes.  I was so tired and emotionally drained, but God heard me.  That night around 10 pm Ryan (my husband) and I were at home and we received a phone call.  The nurse was on the line and said " I have a surprise for you!  GREY OPENED HER LEFT EYE!!"  I started instantly crying and both of us started jumping up and down hugging.  Her eyes finally opened.  We rushed to the hospital to see how beautiful our baby girl's eyes were.

Once Grey was stable, the main goal for her was to grow and learn how to breathe on her own.  This came with it's own challenges but each day she grew stronger and stronger.  Grey was in the NICU for 129 days and she finally came home on October 27, 2014.

The NICU experience is a wild roller coaster ride.  I would not have made it if it wasn't for the wonderful staff at Norton Suburban Hospital.  The staff there are angels and each one of them loved Grey like she was their own.  The relationships you make with the nurses and doctors are friendships you will have for a lifetime.

Help us Celebrate and Support NICU Babies

Every day thousands of babies are born too soon, too small, and often very sick. We are here to celebrate them as well as raise awareness for NICU support nationwide. 

This donation campaign is very special to us as we have chosen to give back to the NICUs that mean something to you. Help us give back to them so they can make the stay of a future family a comfortable one. 

We are encouraging, YOU, or amazing KP fans, to send a gift, big or small, to this NICU or another one of your choice from our approved list , referred by the 25 KP followers who have shared their courageous stories with us. On behalf of these little ones, let's pull together and SPREAD THE LOVE!  We will be matching every single donation that comes in 1 for 1, until April 25th. Let the giving begin! 


Click card below to start shopping!